Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Ryan vs. Izturis: Round 1

Alright...look...I respect Izturis - anyone whose favorite player of all time is Ozzie Smith HAS to respect a gold-glove shortstop - but enough is enough.

Cesar Izturis has produced a whopping .143 batting average in 5 games and 14 ABs. Okay, okay - so we didn't pick him up for his offense. That's fine...no problem...let's take a look at his defense. In 5 games, Izturis has already committed 2 fielding errors. COME ON!

Brendan Ryan, on the other hand, is hitting to the tune of a .444 average, .667 SLG%, and the man even has an RBI (no, it's not "a" RBI - that sounds stupid - RBI is a term all its own, now - so deal!). He's done all this in 5 games and 10 ABs while committing ZERO fielding errors. In fact, I believe Matthew Leach used the phrase "looking solid" when describing Ryan's defense thus far.

While participating on the ever-popular blog of our generous Cardinals beat writer (Matt Leach), I asked him the question: "What are the chances that Ryan will be the starting shortstop on Opening Day?" His answer: "Virtually nil." He went on to explain that the job was Izturis' to lose and that would only happen if he imploded and Ryan excelled.

I have to say, I completely agree...and that's the way it should be (I'm a big veteran supporter)...but that's exactly what's happening!!! Ryan is getting the job done - amidst the pressure of competing for a job, I might add - and Izturis is showing his age.

I gotta' say, the move was made with good intentions, but the Cesar Izturis experiment is a bust - give the job to Ryan and let's move on...

(I'm gonna' feel like a boob if Ryan commits 3 fielding errors and strikes out 3 times tonight...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home